Friday, April 20, 2012

Magnolias, Shadows Of



While I agree that these photos are not particularly good, I took them with my iPhone, afterall.  I wanted to show what these pieces looked like before and after they were finished because I think it is important for people to know a little about the process of metal work. After all, most people still think of engagement rings, diamonds and beading when I tell them I make jewelry, which while not entirely inaccurate,  isn't what I mean when I say I make jewelry.

I have been interested in and attracted to silhouettes. An unconventional silhouette is something I am also visually attracted to, with its almost unrecognizable nature, because it is seen in only one dimension. The flat nature of the silhouette is what pulls the reality of it, simultaneously removing part of its identity and also elevating it to importance by being the sole item on a field of black, or a black item in a field of white.

I'm in absolute love with the texture around the edge; expect more edge textures in my coming work. This was an exercise to see what my weaknesses are on the fly. I need to work on wire-to-edge soldering, and I have some clean-up issues and fire scale issues due to excessive heat.

My favorite is the widest one. I think it's nicely balanced and the silhouette is beautiful.

These are brooches, made of sterling silver and NuGold, a type of brass that is simply beautiful and turns an amazing black when fumed with ammonia. Deeelicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment